Cashier / Dining Room Attendant
Temporary Full-Time, Non-exempt
Start Date: May 25, 2023
End Date: September 25, 2023
Who We Are:
Anderson Ranch Arts Center is a year-round visual-arts not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization with a 55-year history of providing transformative experiences that celebrate artists, art-making, and creative dialog, at the intersection of craft and the global contemporary art world. Anderson Ranch brings together both aspiring and internationally renowned artists who come from across the country and around the world to test new ideas, explore new disciplines and techniques, hone their art-making skills, engage in meaningful dialog and connect with thought leaders in the artistic community.
Anderson Ranch’s campus is an artistic community nestled among the pristine peaks of the Rocky Mountains. The Ranch campus consists of 14 buildings providing 55,000 square feet of facilities including eight studio buildings, a gallery, a lecture hall, café, store, administrative offices, a student dormitory, as well as residential apartments and cabins. State-of-the-art equipment allows cross-disciplinary experimentation within the mediums of ceramics, woodworking, photography, digital fabrication, painting, sculpture and printmaking. The campus is an oasis of renovated 19th-century cabins and barns that sit alongside contemporary designed buildings, all within the renowned cultural and recreation communities of Aspen/Snowmass, CO, and the Roaring Fork Valley.
Anderson Ranch cultivates a culture of experimentation and collaboration, offering world-class art-making facilities and equipment across diverse mediums, experienced visiting faculty and access to the highest quality staff.
Anderson Ranch’s mission is to enrich lives with art, inspiration and community.
We achieve this by offering:
- Workshops: Providing intensive 1-3-week workshops for artists of all levels and all ages that both improve technical art-making skills and provide transformative experiences for art makers.
- Advanced Mentoring Programs: Offering three-year mentoring programs that advance artistic practice and careers in the arts.
- Artist Residencies: Providing 5 and 10-week long juried Artists-in-Residence programs, which give emerging and mid-career professional artists the time, space and resources to develop new work using our world-class facilities.
- Visiting Artist Experiences: Providing flexible and unique curated experiences to support established national and international artists seeking a retreat to experiment in new mediums or with new techniques and ideas, supported by our staff.
- Anderson Ranch Editions: An artist’s workshop and print publisher program for hand-printed limited-edition lithographs, screen-prints and etchings by established artists.
- Community Engagement: Hosting lectures, discussions, seminars and special events which build a community that appreciates, understands and supports art-making within the global contemporary art world and the human experience for both Anderson Ranch guests and the local community.
- Changing Lives and Changing the World Through Art: We care about people and helping them improve their lives. We enable people to learn and grow, personally and professionally, in a challenging and supportive environment. We meet people where they are and help them reach their goals.
- Culture of Diversity & Inclusion: We learn from diversity and it makes us stronger. At the center of our mission is helping people find their whole selves in their artistic practice. We strive to live the same values in our professional lives. That includes actively embracing diversity of age, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental ability, as well as background and experience. We approach our work thoughtfully, learn from each other and share a commitment to inclusivity.
- Rigor & Excellence: We provide the best possible experience for our community of guests, including faculty, interns, students, residents, visiting artists, volunteers, supporters and staff. We demand the best from ourselves and each other.
- Culture of Critique: We believe in a “Culture of Critique” where we offer and receive honest feedback and support each other in learning and improving.
- Culture of Results, Connectivity and Flexibility: We believe overachieving is better than overworking. We prioritize Anderson Ranch and get the job done 110% by being available when needed, by being open, working collaboratively, welcoming feedback and getting work done efficiently, effectively and on time. Once this is achieved, we enjoy the flexibility of where and when we work; we can pursue our passions, be it art-making, hobbies or special interests.
- Sales and Services: Greets guests and takes their food and beverage orders. Serves food and beverages to the guest as per the course of the order. Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit’s service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team. Handle cash, credit or check transactions with customers, ensure pricing is correct. Scan goods and collect payments utilizing available Point of Sale (POS) systems. Make sales referrals, cross-sell products and introduce new ones. Assist with running food and refilling beverage stations during appropriate times.
- Communication and Customer Service: Responds to and resolves any special dietary requests. Coordinate with kitchen staff to ensure smooth operation and guest satisfaction. Observes guests, anticipates their needs, and ensures their satisfaction with the food, beverages, and service; removes courses, replenishes utensils, refills glasses. Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment. Resolve customer complaints, guide them and provide relevant information. Greet customers when entering or leaving establishment. Answer customers’ questions and get a manager if unable to answer question. Assisting in running of food during lunch service and restocking items as needed for the service.
- Safety, Cleanliness and Compliance: Check identification of the guest to make sure they meet age requirements for purchase of alcohol products. Ensure proper care, movement of all equipment such as tables, chairs etc. Performing basic cleaning tasks as needed or directed by supervisor. Adheres to grooming and appearance standards. Complies with all food and beverage regulations. Maintain clean and tidy checkout areas, assent stewarding team with maintaining cleanliness of dining room. Maintain cleanliness of Grab & Go cooler, assisting kitchen team with stocking Grab & Go.
Expected Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to fairly resolve disputes and complaints.
- Basic computer and mathematical skills.
- Thorough understanding of or ability to quickly learn the Point of Sale System.
- Positive attitude and great customer service etiquette.
Education and Experience:
- Two years of experience in food service/ previous point of sales cashier preferred.
Staff Community Responsibilities:
- Community Outreach Leader: All staff members are expected to build and lead partnerships with community organizations as they relate to their area of responsibility, and to actively support the outreach efforts of other team members.
- Engaged & Supportive Team Member: All staff are expected to support colleagues and engage in the programs and events of the Ranch by attending lectures, artist talks, fundraising events, and community wide events and being available to jump in and help make them a success.
- Support Major Fundraising & Community Events: All staff are expected to support the major annual events that engage the public and fundraisers. These are “all hands on deck” efforts and all staff are expected to participate in ways outside their normal professional functions to make them a success from set-up, to execution, to tear down.
- Professional & Personal Development: Continuing to learn and improve is a job requirement of all staff. Team members are expected to be growing, learning, and improving in their artistic and professional lives.
- Brand Ambassador: All team members are expected to comport themselves in a manner that is fitting with the organization; represent the Ranch both on and off-campus, as well as online and on social media, keeping in mind that positivity and professionalism are respected and appreciated.
- Some sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Typical tasks as required to actively work in art studios/facilities in a historic building space with uneven surfaces, stairs, gravel walkways, etc.
- The descriptions above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the role.
- All personnel are required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- This role requires a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours as needed, and particularly intense time demands in the summer months.
- This job description may be changed or updated at any time throughout employment.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base Salary: $18 – $22 per hour
- Paid Sick Leave
Employment requires successfully passing the pre-employment Background Check.
All inquiries and conversations will remain strictly confidential.
NOTE: The above is an abbreviated representation of benefits defined in the Employee Handbook, which governs all employment terms. No other verbal or written exceptions to those terms are honored without a written directive by the President and Chief Executive Officer and signed by the Chair of the Board of Trustees.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Anderson Ranch is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce.