The Artistic Director of Ceramics will provide professional leadership, artistic expertise and institutional support to the Ceramics Program and potentially have additional experience in Sculpture or Wood/Furniture Design. The Artistic Director will be current in digital fabrication technologies. The Artistic Director is expected to be a practicing artist with a national and international exhibition record who has direct involvement in the Ranch community as an artist, teacher and administrator. As part of the team of Artistic Directors, representing the major disciplines offered by the Ranch, the selected individual is expected to collaborate as a team member on envisioning and implementing the organization’s strategic goals and objectives. The position requires a strong professional network to enhance the level of programming in his/her practice area. This full-time, year-round position reports to the Director of Artistic Programs.
The Artistic Director will: develop curriculum and invite guest faculty to teach; supervise studio coordinators, workshop instructors and interns; work with administrative staff on course development, promotion and student recruitment.
- Developing curriculum and programs.
- Developing and managing an annual budget.
- Additional responsibilities include maintenance and supervision of the ceramics studio and program, including managing the budget, material ordering and inventory of studio materials, equipment maintenance, and overseeing risk management and safety procedures with Studio Coordinator.
- Expertise in hand building, wheel throwing, and glazing at multiple levels, and expertise in firing wood, gas and electric kilns.
- Supporting the organization’s outreach activities through studio tours, lectures and demonstrations.
- Soliciting artwork for and participating in the Annual Art Auction.
- Be responsible for and oversee these functions within the work areas:
- Supervise, manage and collaborate with artistic staff to coordinate programming of the “Fab Lab” of digital fabrication technologies, including 3-D printers and scanners, CNC router, plasma cutter and other digital equipment.
- Master of Fine Arts Degree; capacity to engage with professional artists and
educators, and balance professional duties while maintaining and developing an
- Extensive teaching experience as well as experience in managing and
maintaining studios in ceramics.
- Experience running wood, soda and electric fire kilns.
- Experience with glazing methods.
- Experience with CAD, Rhino, Mastercam and softwares appropriate for digital
technologies. Mac proficiency.
- Preferred experience in non-profit, entrepreneurial endeavors, fundraising and
Compensation and Benefits
Anderson Ranch Arts Center offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a supportive work environment. Salary depends on level of experience. Compensation may include on-campus private housing. Relocation assistance will be provided for the successful candidate. All inquiries and conversations will remain strictly confidential.
Submit complete application on-line at: andersonranch.slideroom.com (note: slideroom has a $10 application fee.)
Application materials to include:
2. Letter of intent indicating potential and desire in the position.
3. 20 images of personal artwork.
4. Artist statement.
5. Three references and contact information
Applications are currently being accepted and position will remain open until filled.
This job summary is not to be interpreted to be all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and qualifications of the job. The applicant may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. Certain functions not explicitly stated above are nevertheless understood to be essential to this position. Anderson Ranch is an equal opportunity employer.