The Artistic Director of Ceramics will provide professional leadership, artistic expertise and institutional support to the Ceramics Program and have additional experience in Sculpture and Wood / Furniture Design. The Artistic Director will be current in digital fabrication technologies and will coordinate the Ranch “Fab Lab”. The Artistic Director is expected to be a practicing artist with a national and international exhibition record who has direct involvement in the Ranch community as an artist, teacher and administrator. As part of the team of Artistic Directors, representing the major disciplines offered by the Ranch, the selected individual is expected to collaborate as a team member on envisioning and implementing the organization’s strategic goals and objectives. The position requires a strong professional network to enhance the level of programming in his/her practice area.
This full-time, year-round position reports to the Director of Artistic Programs.
The Artistic Director will: develop curriculum and invite guest faculty to teach; supervise studio coordinators, workshop instructors and interns; work with administrative staff on course development, promotion, student recruitment, program marketing and assessment as well as teach workshops on a periodic basis.
It is expected that the Artistic Director participate in the Artist-In-Residence Program by conducting the initial review of applications, supporting jury selection, participating in residency functions and acting as a mentor to residents.
As part of a team of Artistic Directors representing the major art disciplines offered by the Ranch, the individual is expected to collaborate as a team member on envisioning and implementing the organization’s strategic goals and objectives.
Overall direction and management:
- Developing curriculum and programs.
- Developing and managing an annual budget.
- Additional responsibilities include maintenance and supervision of the ceramics studio and program, including managing the budget, material ordering and inventory of studio materials, equipment maintenance, and overseeing risk management and safety procedures with Studio Coordinator.
- Develop and implement a robust ceramics curriculum that caters to a diverse set of skills, needs, and goals – both attracting new students and nurturing an existing and long-time clay community.
- Expertise in hand building, wheel throwing, and glazing at multiple levels, and expertise in firing wood, gas and electric kilns.
- Participating in Ranch management, staff and Board of Trustees meetings.
- Interacting with donors and students.
- Supporting the organization’s outreach activities through studio tours, lectures and demonstrations.
- Supporting staff, Board and development office activities to create positive relationships with volunteers, cultivate donors and participate in board/staff committee work.
- Representing the Ranch programs nationally to schools and conferences, and developing collaborative programming with other organizations to expand Anderson Ranch’s national and international reach.
- Soliciting artwork for and participating in the Annual Art Auction.
- Be responsible for and oversee these functions within the work areas:
- Supervise, manage and collaborate with artistic staff to coordinate programming of the “Fab Lab” of digital fabrication technologies, including 3-D printers and scanners, CNC router, plasma cutter and other digital equipment.
- Order major and minor area-related studio equipment and materials, and oversee installation and safe operations.
- Oversee the safety protocol and maintenance within studios.
- Be responsible for administering, supervising and implementing one of our core programs such as: workshops, visiting artists program, artist-in-residence program and/or gallery exhibitions.
- Master of Fine Arts Degree; capacity to engage with professional artists and educators, and balance professional duties while maintaining and developing an artistic practice.
- Extensive teaching experience as well as experience in managing and maintaining studios in ceramics, sculpture, woodworking, furniture design and woodturning, as well as digital fabrication technologies. Ability to troubleshoot and maintain equipment.
- Exceptional organizational skills including ability to multitask.
- Self-directed individual, pro-active thinker with creative problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity and experience with techniques, processes and critical dialog in ceramics, sculpture, woodworking/traditional furniture design and digital fabrication.
- Experience running wood, soda and electric fire kilns.
- Experience with glazing methods.
- Experience with CAD, Rhino, Mastercam and softwares appropriate for digital technologies. Mac proficiency.
- Administrative experience: the ability to manage and delegate to a team of studio coordinators and interns to facilitate successful program strategies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Team player with demonstrated skills.
- Preferred experience in non-profit, entrepreneurial endeavors, fundraising and grant writing.
Compensation and Benefits
Anderson Ranch Arts Center offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a supportive work environment. Salary depends on level of experience. Compensation may include on-campus private housing. Relocation assistance will be provided for the successful candidate. All inquiries and conversations will remain strictly confidential.
Submit complete application on-line at:
(note: slideroom has a $10 application fee.)
Application materials to include:
- Letter of intent indicating potential and desire in the position.
- 20 images of personal artwork.
- Artist statement.
- Three references and contact information
Application due February 15, 2019. Review of candidates will begin February 15 and will remain open until the position is filled. Start date is August 2019.
This job summary is not to be interpreted to be all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and qualifications of the job. The applicant may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. Certain functions not explicitly stated above are nevertheless understood to be essential to this position.
Anderson Ranch is an equal opportunity employer.