Anderson Ranch’s Artists-in-Residence Program fosters creative, intellectual and professional growth for emerging and established visual artists. Residents have access to world-class facilities and studio time, free from everyday pressures. Residents can pursue interdisciplinary projects among a community of working artists, and gain feedback from prominent Visiting Artists and Critics. The Ranch setting is specifically crafted to aid artists in the production of their work. The residency is designed to allow artists to take risks and pursue new projects and ideas. Residents will be provided housing, studio space and meals. Residencies are offered in ceramics, new media, photography, furniture design, woodworking, painting, drawing, printmaking and sculpture. Fall residents pay a fee of $1,500 for the 10 weeks at the Ranch. Spring residents pay a fee of $750 for the five weeks at the Ranch. A select group of the 32 residencies are fully funded fellowships awarded by the jury panel. Residencies are offered during Spring and Fall terms each year.
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- Next application goes live December 2021
- Next application deadline is mid-February 2022
- Next application is for Fall 2022 (10 weeks from October – December) and Spring 2023 (5 weeks from mid-March to mid-April)
Required Application Materials to Prepare:
- Contact information, resume/CV, and short bio
- Area of Focus
- A statement of purpose: what you plan to accomplish using the time, space and facilities if you are awarded a residency.
- Three references (including contact information) who can attest to your ability to participate and work within an artistic community. If selected, your references will be contacted by Anderson Ranch Arts Center during the review process. Letters of recommendation are not required.
- A $30 non-refundable application fee is due at the time of submitting an application through SlideRoom paid via credit card or by PayPal.
- Ten images of work completed within the past three years including: images (up to 5MB each) and/or video (up to 250MB each). Jpeg images should be no larger than 5MB each. Each time-based work sample should be up to two minutes in length or less. Do not include external links to media samples or websites. Do not include multiple page pdfs as one media sample. Do not include trailer video samples.
“I wanted to share my sincere gratitude for your support of the Artists-in-Residence program! This opportunity has impacted the trajectory of my artist practice and introduced me to new methods of making. This would not have been possible without your generous support – thank you!”
— 2019 Artist-in-Residence Kelly Taylor Mitchell
Artists-in-Residence have unlimited access to Anderson Ranch’s artistic studios and state-of-the-art equipment during their residency—55,000 square feet of space in which to focus on their art and explore new ideas.
The application deadline for the 2022 Spring Artists-in-Residence Program was February 18, 2021.
Approximately 14 artists will be in residence during the Spring term. The Ranch strives to have an equal mix of emerging and established artists working together. Current housing and studio space allows for the following numbers of residencies in each area, each term:
Photography & New Media: 2
Furniture Design & Woodworking: 2
Painting & Drawing: 2
Important Dates for the 2022 Artists-in-Residence Program:
February 18th, 2021 – application deadline
April 2021 – notification of acceptance decisions
Spring Session: March 16 – April 20, 2022 (5 weeks)
Fall Session: October – December, 2022 (one 10 week session)
Visiting Critics at Anderson Ranch
As part of our Artists-in-Residence Program, we invite internationally recognized artists and critics to give critical studio feedback to our program participants allowing residents a chance to receive constructive input on the direction of their work. During their time at the Ranch, visiting critics typically give a public lecture and spend one to three days critiquing resident or student work.
Anderson Ranch invites leading artists, critics and curators to the Ranch to share ideas and practices in a supportive interdisciplinary environment. The program is designed to foster the creation of artwork and/or to enhance the experience of program participants in other Ranch programs.
Sponsors & Support
The Anderson Ranch Artists-in-Residence Program is generously funded by the following foundations and individuals:
The Melva Bucksbaum and Ray Learsy Endowed Fund
The Eskin Family Foundation
Karen and Jim Frank
The John M. Hartigan Endowed Fund
The Joanne and Lee Lyon Endowed Fund
The National Endowment for the Arts
The PAJWELL Foundation
Mary and Patrick Scanlan
The Windgate Charitable Foundation
Baird Family Endowed Fund
Additional support is provided by the Kay and Matthew Bucksbaum Endowed Fund for Visiting Artists and other individuals.