Guest Services Assistant
Summer 2021 Opening: April – September
Anderson Ranch seeks a dynamic colleague who is driven by the belief that the power of art, inspiration and community can change individuals and the world. This job is ideal for a motivated professional who aspires to live, make art and work outside the box. This candidate will be a practicing artist with a passion for mentoring colleagues, teaching students and creating dynamic and engaging programs for the community. Experience in sculpture, ceramics and woodworking with an overarching knowledge of digital fabrication will allow for big ideas across media. They will be passionate about building on a strong professional network, have knowledge of trends and understand advancements in their field. They will design engaging curriculum for students and faculty to embark upon unique educational experiences. They will enjoy collaborating with colleagues across disciplines to maintain top-notch facilities, equipment and foster an excellent lineup of guest faculty to assure rigorous artistic offerings.
Who We Are
Anderson Ranch Arts Center (the Ranch) is a year-round visual-arts organization with a 50+ year history of providing transformative experiences that celebrate artists, art-making and creative dialog, at the intersection of craft and the global contemporary art world. Anderson Ranch brings together both aspiring and internationally renowned artists who come from across the country and around the world to test new ideas, explore new disciplines and techniques, hone their art-making skills, engage in meaningful dialog, and connect with thought leaders and world-renowned collectors, critics, and influencers.
Anderson Ranch Arts Center’s campus is an artistic community nestled among the pristine peaks of the Rocky Mountains. The Ranch campus consists of 14 buildings providing 55,000 square feet of facilities including eight studio buildings, a gallery, a lecture hall, café, store, administrative offices, a student dormitory, as well as apartments and cabins for artistic staff and artists. State-of-the-art equipment allows cross-disciplinary experimentation within the mediums of ceramics, woodworking, photography, digital fabrication, painting, sculpture, and printmaking. The campus is an oasis of renovated 19th-century cabins and barns that sit alongside contemporary designed buildings, all within the renowned cultural and recreation communities of Aspen/Snowmass, CO and the Roaring Fork Valley.
We cultivate a culture of experimentation and collaboration, offering world-class art making facilities and equipment across diverse mediums, experienced visiting faculty and access to the highest quality artistic staff.
Our Mission: Anderson Ranch Arts Center enriches lives with art, inspiration, and community
We achieve this by offering:
- Workshops: Providing intensive 1-3-week workshops for artists of all levels and all ages that both improve technical art-making skills and provide transformative experiences for art makers.
- Advanced Mentoring Programs: Offering advanced three-year advanced mentoring programs that advance artistic practice and careers in the arts.
- Artist Residencies: Providing 5 and 10-week long juried Artists-in-Residence programs which give emerging and mid-career professional artists the time, space and resources to develop new work using our world-class facilities.
- Visiting Artist Experiences: Providing flexible and unique curated experiences to support established international artists seeking a retreat to experiment in new mediums or with new techniques and ideas, supported by our staff.
- Anderson Ranch Editions: an artist’s workshop and print publisher program for hand-printed limited-edition lithographs, screen-prints, and etchings by established artists.
- Community Engagement: Hosting lectures, discussions, seminars, and special events that build a community that appreciates, understands, and supports art making within the global contemporary art world and the human experience for both our Ranch guests and the local community.
Our Work Culture
- Changing Lives and Changing the World Through Art: We care about people and helping them improve their lives. Helping people learn and grow, personally and professionally, in a challenging and supportive environment. We meet people where they are and help them step in the right.
- Culture of Diversity & Inclusion: We learn from diversity and it makes us stronger. At the center of our mission is helping people find their whole selves in their artistic practice and. We strive to live the same values in our professional lives. That includes actively embracing diversity of age, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental ability, as well as background and experience. We approach our work thoughtfully, make mistakes, learn from each other, and share a commitment to inclusivity.
- Rigor & Excellence: We provide the best possible experience for our community of guests, including faculty, students, residents, Visiting Artists, volunteers, supporters and staff. We demand the best from ourselves and each other. We believe in a “Culture of Critique” where we offer and receive honest feedback and support each other in learning and improving.
- Culture of Critique: We believe in offering honest feedback to each other and helping each other explore our efforts and improve our outcomes. We believe in being open to hear and learn from each other’s feedback.
- Culture of Results, Connectivity and Flexibility. We believe overachieving is better than overworking. We prioritize the Ranch and get the job done 110% by being available when needed, by being open, working collaboratively, welcoming feedback and getting work done efficiently, effectively and on time. Once this is achieved, we enjoy the flexibility of where and when we work; we can pursue our passions, be it art-making, family, hobbies, special interests or obsessions.
The role operates at the cross currents on several core functions including the Welcome Center, Guest Services, Operations and the ArtWorks Store and requires dependability, flexibility and adaptability. The successful candidate will take ownership of many of the day-to-day administrative activities in these departments, creating the foundation for the positive, supportive, creative culture that is the heart and soul of the Ranch. As the front line point of contact, ability to represent Anderson Ranch with a high level of integrity and professionalism is critical for this position.
- Welcome Desk/Guest Services: Maintains reception area and all administrative common areas in a clean and tidy manner at all times. Greets and directs visitors. Provides callers with general information. Anticipates, responds to and follows up on any guest or visitor requests. Coordinates campus group tours and occasionally leads tours of campus.
- Artwork Store: Understands the ArtWorks Store inventory, answers questions about the store and what it sells, suggesting options that fit customers’ needs and processes payments. Assist with ordering, receiving and stocking of merchandise. Assists with the Ranch ecommerce site and processes orders. Cleans store and organizes merchandise. Provides guests with information on Anderson Ranch Editions, gallery exhibitions and other special installations on campus and follows up with prospective buyers.
- Hospitality and Business Safety: Creates and distributes housing welcome packets. Greets and checks in guests. Maintains the key inventory. Assists with organizing the Finger Library and tracking library book check-out and donations. Maintains hospitality and business safety supply inventory. Assists with implementation of the Business Safety Plan including conducting wellness checks. Assists with answering the Ranch after hours on-call phone.
- Administrative Assistance: Contributes positively as part of a team, helping out with various administrative duties as required. Receives, sorts, and distributes incoming mail, both electronic and physical. Coordinates the pick-up and delivery of express mail services (FedEx, UPS, etc.). Assists with clerical duties. Orders, receives, stocks and distribues office supplies. Coordinates service for office equipment (phones, fax, printers, copier). Maintains institutional calendar and employee directory. Access constituent records to obtain contact information or verify participation. Prepares staff updates. Coordinates the efforts to recognize and celebrate staff through birthdays, anniversaries, “peak & valley” moments. Plays a supporting role for the logistics of internal events and meetings.
Staff Community Responsibilities
- Community Outreach Leader: All staff members are expected to build and lead partnerships with community organizations as they relate to their area of responsibility, and to actively support the outreach efforts of other team members.
- Engaged and Supportive Team Member: All staff are expected to support colleagues and engage in the programs and events of the Ranch by attending lectures, artist talks, fundraising events and community events with a willingness to actively contribute to their success.
- Professional and Personal Development: Continuing to learn and improve is a job requirement of all staff. Team members are expected to continually grow, learn, and improve in their artistic and professional lives.
- Brand Ambassador: All team members are expected to support and represent the organization in multiple areas of their public lives: representing the Ranch both on and off-campus, as well as online and on social media, conducting themselves with a positive and professional attitude.
- The descriptions above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the role.
- All personnel are required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- This role requires a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours as needed, and particularly intense time demands in the summer months.
- This job description may be changed or updated at any time throughout employment.
This position is intended to be 40 hours per week at $18 per hour.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Applications are currently being accepted and the position will remain open until filled. Anderson Ranch is an equal opportunity employer.
This job summary is not to be interpreted to be all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and qualifications of the job. The applicant may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. Certain functions are not explicitly stated above are nevertheless understood to be essential to this position. Anderson Ranch is an equal opportunity employer.